MomoWymack

MomoWymack

Hello Forever (Hello Goodbye) (Volume 2)
Sarina Bowen
Progress: 71 %
The Last Precinct
Patricia Cornwell
Progress: 49/565 pages
Midnight in the Garden of Good and Evil
John Berendt

Who He Is (FireNine #1)

Who He Is (FireNine #1) - S. Q. Williams I'm not sure how to rate this right now. I think as a whole, I give it 2, maybe 2.5 stars, but it definitely had some 4 star moments.
I like the idea, I like where it was going, but there were some things that didn't work for me personally.
First, I love a little mystery. I don't need a character's past laid out for me in the first few chapters, but we didn't really get a full view of what had happened to these people until somewhere around the last 20-22% of the book. As we don't really understand what has happened to them, we don't understand their motivations or reactions to things and this lead to my second issue...
I didn't like Ellie or Gage for about the first 50% of the book. I understand that Gage is hot, he's a rock star--I'm with you! But...even though Ellie had some high school crush on him, I couldn't find any reason for her to like him. I think with the cocky, man-whoring rock stars, you have to be careful...if you don't write them just so...they come off as charmless douche bags, and its really hard for them to redeem themselves. I will say that Gage grew on me, though honestly, Ellie never did. I feel like Montana had a great personality, and Gage was a lively character, but Ellie was just kind of flat.
The relationship was a strange one and I felt it was kind of contradictory at times, one second its we're just having fun, then she's freaking out because there is a lack of commitment and it was hard to sympathize with Gage at times because we didn't know what he was trying to hide.
Some of the dialogue and word choice was a bit strange I felt, but most of the time that didn't bother me too much.
I would love to get inside Deed's head...and Roy's...overall, I felt that the band was full of interesting characters.
The ending though...as I am a huge hater of cliff hangers, I didn't appreciate it, but honestly, after Ellie turned him down while he was begging, I hope he forgets all about her, though I know I'm not supposed to feel that way. There was just something about her that was almost too...unemotional, even when she was being emotional...it just wasn't quite there. I would like to see what happens with the rest of the band...like I said, some definite interesting characters there.