MomoWymack

MomoWymack

The Mystery of the Curiosities (Snow & Winter)
C.S. Poe
Midnight in the Garden of Good and Evil
John Berendt

Red 1-2-3

Red 1-2-3 - John Katzenbach 3.5, 4 stars.

This review will be spoileresque
I'm trying not to take off stars for the author giving me an ending I didn't want...
This was a different kind of book. It took me a while to get into it. It's very descriptive and it gives 5 different perspectives throughout. Once it took off for me, though I thoroughly enjoyed it, couldn't wait to see what would happen next.
Our killer was...I'm not sure how to explain him. On the one hand he seems a devoted husband, ordinary man, and he prides himself on the fact that he hides how "special" he is. His view of killing and the passion he has for it or the rush he gets from thinking and writing it is in line with what you figure a psycho would be like, but he also has that cool detachment, too...I think that's the creepiest part of him, he writes as though he is genuinely doing humanity a service by documenting his murders.
I loved the girls, that they were so different and that they didn't just sit and wait for this loser to come pick them off but created a plan and started hunting.
Mrs. Big Bad Wolf...I kinda wanted to slap the shit out her a few times. I mean...she struck me as those door-mat type women that put up with lying, cheating, douche bags just so they can feel a little security or affection occasionally. *eye roll*
Overall, once I got past the first 60 pages or so it really started moving for me and I was into their lives and what they were feeling and doing. I enjoyed it. Would recommend to others and would read more from this author.

Merged review:

My review disappeared...3.5 stars, rounding up to 4

I won this book on Goodreads First Reads.
This was my first Katzenbach novel, but I would definitely read more. This was a little outside my comfort zone with the whole serial killer aspect.
The author did an excellent job conveying insanity and fear. I was scared!
The ending was a bit of a disappointment for me and really maybe it had to be that way, but it wasn't what I had wanted.
I enjoyed the women, they were smart and resourceful. I think my issue with the novel was that even as we get the fear and all, I felt a little disconnected from the 3 main female characters.
Overall, I enjoyed the read and would read more from this author.