MomoWymack

MomoWymack

The Mystery of the Curiosities (Snow & Winter)
C.S. Poe
Midnight in the Garden of Good and Evil
John Berendt

Rough Canvas

Rough Canvas - Joey W. Hill This is going to be really hard for me to rate and review, and its times like these that I curse my inability to be articulate.
I went through every emotion while reading this and to be perfectly honest, I spent a decent portion of it just absolutely HATING it. The first like 40% was just too much. I mean, I even quit at one point. but then I picked it back up and ultimately, I am glad that I did.
My biggest problem with this story is the nature of their relationship. Now, I'm all for everybody having whatever kind of kink, please by all means have at it, but this D/s thing is too much for me, I can NOT handle it. Its a line for me and while I've read books with just a touch of it, this is full on serious D/s and I did NOT enjoy not ONE moment of that part, which is a pretty significant part of the book, so...yeah, much of the book I was cringing or just getting pissed off. (It did affect how well I enjoyed the book, but I'm not holding it against the author because I know this to just be an issue I have)
But then, that was the thing, one minute I'm praying Thomas will wake up and slit Marcus's throat and the next moment, I am so completely wrapped up in how Marcus feels about Thomas, and it was a contradiction for me, it was hard to wrap my head around and I didn't like that. But I did like these characters. I mean, I got pissed at them and I may have shouted at them or threatened them a few times, but I was invested in them.
And truthfully, while this isn't my kind of thing, the writing was very good. The story was intense and the emotions were so tangible. My chest ached and my stomach hurt and I got angry and I felt sad and hopeless only to turn and feel hopeful, only to get knocked back down again.
I did cry a few times, this isn't like a "sad" story, I mean there is sadness, but my tears came from frustration and that dark place when you realize you've lost someone or never really had them, just that soul crushing weight of "fuck, it's over."
I don't know. Like I said, I'm not very articulate. I don't know that I would recommend this, as the kink was beyond me, but I'm glad I didn't give up on it.