MomoWymack

MomoWymack

Hello Forever (Hello Goodbye) (Volume 2)
Sarina Bowen
Progress: 71 %
The Last Precinct
Patricia Cornwell
Progress: 49/565 pages
Midnight in the Garden of Good and Evil
John Berendt

Abandon

Abandon - Meg Cabot I'm going three stars on this, it was a tough one for me to rate because there were things I really liked about this book and things that I really didn't like...not a lot of middle ground really.

First, YA is a difficult genre for me at times, especially when there is any kind of romance involved. Teenagers are hard to capture authentically without causing me to face palm due to their stupidity or roll my eyes at their selfish behavior. I know that sounds awful, but with the last few books I've read...well, one of them I only got 36 pages into before I wanted to throttle the MC. But I'm trying here! So, while there were definitely some "Oh for the love of all that is HOLY!" moments with Pierce, I will say that overall, she wasn't killing me. She was self aware, which I appreciated, she called herself on her crazy, selfish, stupid behavior--would it be better not to have it? Sure, but then it would be less realistic. There were several reviewers that called her vapid and shallow, stupid, immature, etc. and I'm not disagreeing with those, but I think after the last few books I've read she wasn't so bad, comparatively speaking. I know, that doesn't sound like a ringing endorsement or anything, but really it was important to me.

The idea behind this story is very interesting and there were parts I was really into. It seemed unique to me because I don't do much with the mythology (other than Percy Jackson) so for me this story line isn't overdone. I wanted to know what was going to happen and I'll read the next one. I enjoyed the writing, though I prefer alternating POVs.

Things that didn't work so well...it took quite a long time to get any real information out of Pierce. For chapters it was on and on how she had DIED, and I get it, if I had died and come back, that might be all I talk or think about (though she did claim to not want to talk about it.) The whole "incident" and "accident" thing, I get it what our lovely author was trying to do and it worked, for a bit and then I was just like "Would you please just tell me what the hell happened already?!" So yeah...it was just like trying to pull teeth or something!

The romance of it...I'm not sure what to say. I wanted to see it and perhaps if we had gotten any of John's POV I would have. But basically what you have is insta-love that you don't feel, or see or hear about and happens for ...well, no reason. (Now, in all fairness to John, I can see why he would fall for Pierce instantly. However, this story is from her POV and so I wasn't really feeling it.)

There are tons of things I want to figure out. The thing with Alex and his dad--I really want to see how all of that plays out. The grandma thing was bothersome as well. This whole Coffin Night thing--I'm interested. I think there are a lot of things going on that I want to know more about, I just hope I can get the story and the connection in the next book.